Ricardo Naranjo (Boy Junior) was born and raised in Whittier, California. He started pursuing music professionally at the age of 18 after attending a few college courses in music that really pushed him to discover his true passion. Boy Junior is the definition of a hustler as everything this man releases has been carefully crafted by his own hands. He produces his own beats that feature monstrous bass and undeniably catchy melodies, writes and performs true meaningful lyrics that have the power to pierce you right in the soul, and has even created his own brand and clothing line (BJM), making him a triple threat to the industry.
We are insanely excited to have Boy Junior performing July 23rd at the Community B.A.S.H. (RSVPs still open). He promised that he would be playing some of his unreleased fire, so this is definitely something you will not want to miss. We had the opportunity to do a quick interview with him in preparation for the party, check it out below.
- Let’s start with the most hated question in the history of artists interviews. What/who do you sound like? But to make it more fun and different, I want you to describe your music style using only movie titles.
My music sound comes from multiple influences ranging from Drake, PartyNextDoor, Eminem, Dr. Dre, 6lack, Jeremih, and many more. In movie titles, I would say my music can be as touching as Titanic or become explosive like Transformers. I also have records that can remind you of Project X for the weekend turn up.
- What inspires you to make your music? And by “what” I mean anything, objects, food, people, animals…
My main inspiration comes from everyday things that occur both in my life and the life of others. I envision my music and songs through pictures and videos, making it easier for the listener to grab on to what they’re listening to. My theory is that if you can’t see the picture or visual, it’s not a good song.
- Everyone has a favorite 90’s jam. What is yours? There will be no judgment what so ever affiliated to your answer. I promise.
My favorite record from the 90’s has to be “My Name Is” by Eminem. His comedic and savage lyricism had the whole industry upside down during those times.
- If you could choose someone to open for on a world tour who would it be? Dead or alive…since all the good ones are dying.
I would love to open up for Drake. He is one of the main reasons why I started to make music.
- Do you have a pre show ritual? If so what is it?
I don’t have a specific pre-show ritual, but most of the time I run through the songs I’m performing just to make sure I don’t forget the lyrics as I begin to get butterflies.
- From 1 to “OMFGTYSHEYSTAGAG I’M SHITTING MY PANTS” how excited are you to perform at Community B.A.S.H.? What are you expecting from the event?
I’m as excited to perform as seeing Eminem or Drake just walking down the street and saying what’s up to them (there’s a lot of excitement behind that). I’m expecting a lot of good vibes from everyone and more than anything a lot of support from everyone there both from spectators and artists.
- Ok final question and also weirdest one. You’ve been given a Gerenuk (real animal, google it). You can’t give it away or sell it. What would you do with it?
If I had a Gerenuk, I would ride that shit everyday like a boss, oh and also put his ass in every single album cover and music video I did.